PRP – Platelet Rich Plasma Injections
“What is Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP)?
Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) relies on platelets (cell fragments found in blood) to improve tissue function. Other names for some of these products include platelet-rich growth factors (GFs), platelet-rich fibrin (PRF) and platelet concentrates (PCs).
What does platelet-rich plasma (PRP) do?
Different types of PRP products are usually given as injections (shots) to heal and repair injuries. The job of platelets in the body is to help blood clot when there is an injury. The cytokines and growth factors that are in platelets can help repair injuries and encourage healing.
Studies have indicated that PRP is or may be useful to treat:
- Tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis).
- Knee osteoarthritis (PRP is being combined with other options to lessen pain, improve function and possibly help repair cartilage. A certain type of PRP called leukocyte-poor PRP or LP-PRP has been suggested as the most useful for knee osteoarthritis.)
- Sports injuries such as pulled muscles, joint sprains or ligament tears.
- Hair loss.
This is a good overview of what PRP and what PRP can do for you. The benefits are founded around using your body’s own repair tissues. We concentrate by using a centrifuge, extracting the fluid and injecting the fluid into the injured area or tissue. This is a repeated process while the injured tissue is repaired.
Rehabilitation is added to the care plan along with bracing, chiropractic, kinesiotaping and modalities. The combination of treatments when performed under common supervision, gives very good outcomes. The goal is to stabilize and strengthen the injured area or degenerated tissue allowing the patient the ability to regain function.
AIM is a cutting edge facility focused on restoring your health and function by first establishing a baseline and then by creating a care plan enabling you to succeed. Your HEALTH is our AIM.
Platement Rich Plasma is a treatment used to repair damaged tissue due to arthritis, tendonitis, or tears or other acute or chronic injuries. PRP helps in promoting healing and pain relief.
Schedule an appointment at Advocate Integrated Medicine
• We can usually schedule you within 24 hours on business days
• No long wait times – we will get you into your scheduled appointment quickly
• We work with most insurances, and also offer financing through CareCredit.